Sunday 25 September 2016

And back to Kampala


Although Gulu highway is much improved, it still feels like a long journey back to Kampala. Part of the reason could be that you need to stop about four times on the journey. One stop is to pick up drinks/bathroom break. The other stops are the more fun ones! Different fruits grow in different areas of the country so if you are passing through that area, you will get the best deal there. We passed by the area where oranges and lemons grow and you could buy a heaped up wash basin of either fruit for 2000 Ugandan shillings (about 80 cents Canadian). Then we passed through Luwero where we bought pineapples and melons. When we were here for a longer time in 2013, I was able to get good prices- I learned well from my friends Judy and Estella. This trip I let Jonathan make the deals and I paid the bill.
The children in Uganda head back to school tomorrow after a three week vacation so tonight was our last chance to see Joanna’s kids. Most attend boarding school so she will drive them back tomorrow and she won’t see them again until December. The kids all wanted a commitment as to when we would be back in Uganda to see them. Oh, I love those kids! And Joanna is another woman that goes on the list of amazing people I have had the privilege to know.
This weekend was a great time spent in the beautiful and fertile northern Uganda. We also had the opportunity to spend more time with Jackie this weekend. As I have said a few times before, getting to know the team on a more personal basis is amazing. I'm so glad we had this weekend to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment