Monday 11 November 2013

Please Remember


Today is a day of remembering.
For our family, it is a day of remembering my dad. He was not a veteran, but today is his birthday. He would have been 78 years old today if he were still with us. If you see my mom or any of my family members today, please give them a big hug.
Today is also the day that we honor our veterans. Many people living today are too young to remember when the world wars occurred. For many the wars/conflicts/military missions (whatever word we use to make it seem better) that have occurred in recent years, have been far removed geographically so they aren’t that “real”.
However, for many, these wars are very real. There are many families in North America and around the world who have lost loved ones in recent years. Tell those families today how much you appreciate the sacrifice of their loved one. Say thank you and let them know that their son/daughter/husband/wife/parent is a hero.
Living outside of North America for this time, I have come to appreciate more and more the men and women of our police forces and military. God has opened my eyes to a lot of things while we have been here and this is certainly one of them.
This Remembrance Day, I appreciate more than ever the democracy and safety of Canada that I inherited because of the veterans that fought for me. Please don’t take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment