Thursday 25 July 2013

Come on, come on...

Living in a foreign country has many advantages and of course, some disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is that there is rarely anything you recognize on the radio. The ads are often for places and products we have never heard of. The music is from a variety of countries, but every so often they play something that we actually recognize. Today was one of those days!
We were driving in to Central this morning when the song "Locomotion" came on the radio. In case you don't know, I love that song and absolutely cannot sit still when I hear it. So there I was dancing in my seat as I was singing very loud. The "jump up, jump back" parts are a little hard to do while seated in a vehicle, but I made it work.
As we were coming up to the round-a-bout, there were many people walking to work. I told Greg that he should stop so that I could jump out and start a flash mob. All he had to do was turn the radio up really loud. Obviously, he didn't think that was such a good idea because he kept on driving. And just for the record, Laurena, I am in way better shape now than I was at Courtney and Cam's wedding so I could have pulled it off!
As we kept driving, I kept singing and dancing. Then we came to an intersection where we had to stop. As soon as you stop, people rush your vehicle to try to sell you newspapers, phone cards, what, what, what. This guy stood by our vehicle trying hard to sell us a newspaper. I just turned up the radio really loud and kept on dancing. He just looked at me like I had lost my mind, shook his head and walked away with a disgusted look on his face. I guess they don't "Do the Locomotion" here!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS- I can totally picture ALL of this, and it is awesome!!!

    Well, at least now you know another valuable skill of how to scare off people- crazy Mzungu! And the two generations behind thing paired with all the spontaneous riots over anything at all, leads me to believe a flash mob attempt in Uganda might end with tear gas, riot police, and a water cannon... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be right- tear gas and a water cannon could have spoiled the good morning I was having! Maybe I'll try it out at the school in our neighbourhood- those kids would be all in for dancing with the crazy Mzungu!

    ReplyDelete