Tuesday 2 July 2013

A Day of Firsts


Remember a while back we felt like our life here was getting to be rather routine and felt that our blog may be getting a little boring. Well, today was anything by boring!
First off, I (Lorenda) started my new position working at the guesthouses. I didn’t do a lot of work, just mostly learned some of what has been going on and what direction they want things to go.
I was back to our apartment early and was doing a little relaxing when our building started shaking and the stuff on the coffee table started to move. I wasn’t sure exactly what was happening, but I was pretty sure I was experiencing an earthquake. Turns out I was right, I had just lived through my first earthquake! Just for the record, Greg also lived through it, but he was driving at the time and didn’t even know it had happened until I told him. When we came to Uganda we had no idea all the new experiences we would have!
Tonight we took our Australian friend Amy out for supper. She has been here volunteering for just over a month and is going home tomorrow (side note- she also felt the earthquake at her apartment which is about four kilometers from ours). After we were done with supper, our vehicle wouldn’t start. Greg has been having some battery issues and planned to purchase a new one tomorrow. Amy and I looked at each other and said, “Who does one call in Uganda to get help like this?” We both knew who to call if we were on our own continents, but not here. Greg spoke with the security guard at the restaurant and he called….yep, you guessed it- he called a taxi cab to come and boost us (what?!) The “jumpers” aka booster cables that they used were truly Ugandan- just two pieces of copper wire, no ends on them, just hold them on each battery and start the car! Now we know who to call for car trouble and what “jumpers” are.
It has been a very long and exhausting day with lots of learning and new experiences. I can’t wait to see what God will teach us tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment