Wednesday 10 April 2013

Babies


Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Babies really are amazing little things (and we have some pretty little ones). I’m not sure how someone can look at a baby and not believe that God created that little person.

It amazes me how well babies here do, even when they are very tiny. In North America we spend millions of dollars saving premature babies, but here they do it so much more simply. Please don’t think that I am saying we shouldn’t spend that money in North America- that is not at all what I am saying. I am just amazed at how well babies do here with very little equipment. And of course, I am aware that not all of the preemies here do well. The neonate and infant mortality rates here are much higher than we would ever view as acceptable.
However, today we got a little preemie that was hypothermic (low body temperature). She was in an isolette, but still needed more warmth so the nurse filled a latex glove with warm water and tucked it in next to the baby. They do so much with the resources that they have available.
One of the babies was admitted to Watoto with a weight of 880 grams (not sure of the birth weight). It is amazing to me that the child has done so very well and in quite a short period of time. When I see children like that I wonder what God has in store for that child. He has saved them and I always stand there and wonder what God has for this child. It makes me think that God must have chosen to have this child live because He has something big for this child to do in his lifetime! Of course I won’t know that until I get to heaven.

PS
I have a little story to tell you about my two favourite babies- my grandchildren. My daughter commented to her daughter (who is almost 2 years old) that she needed to get her bangs cut soon. My grandson (who is nearly 5 years old) overheard this and you guessed it- he decided to look after this task. He took out the haircutting scissors, used a comb and did quite a job on his sister's hair. He wanted to make her "pretty like a My Little Pony". If you have her on Facebook, you can check out the video there!

No comments:

Post a Comment