Sunday 2 October 2016

Blessed, encouraged, humbled...


Some days you just feel like you will burst from all the blessings! Today was another one of those days.
There are a few people that I hadn’t seen yet this trip and I have been stalking them on facebook/calling them on the phone to see when we could get together.
This morning we went to church at Watoto Lubowa (South, for those who know the old names). As we were driving there, I remembered my friend Estella attends there and she is one of the people I have been trying to see. We arrived while the 8 AM service was still going on so I hoped I would see her either leaving the 8:00 service or arriving for the 10:00 service. I was walking along and there her big, beautiful smile was- right in front of me! What a huge gift to see her and spend a little while catching up with her. If you followed the blog in 2013, you will remember Estella from the trips she, Judy and I did to Gulu. By the time we reached Kampala, our vehicle would be so full of fresh fruits and vegetables that I would end up nearly buried in the back seat. Shopping along the Gulu highway is so much fun and the company of those two, made it even better.
That was only the beginning of the blessings of the day.
Watoto Church is always a place that is full of so much energy and thankfulness during their worship time. But today we sang the song “Heirs”. There are a few things you need to know about this song: it is a Watoto original song, it talks about how we are children of God and we are His heirs- people here take that inheritance very seriously, they don’t take it for granted. If you saw the Watoto choir do the “Oh What Love” concert, Heirs is the final song they sing. But today, instead of 25 people on the stage singing, jumping and pumping their arms, there was 1200 people doing that! So incredible to be a part of it.
After church we made our way to CafĂ© Java’s to meet one of my very dear friends. Florence is an absolutely amazing woman that is so filled with faith. She has been without a job for more than two years, her husband is stuck in South Sudan- caught in the civil war that is going on. He is safe in the town he is in, but there is no way for him and the others to get out safely. They have lived on so little, yet in every sentence, she speaks of God’s goodness, His provision and how thankful she is. I am so humbled and thankful to be in her presence. One cannot help but be encouraged, just sitting with this incredible woman. Two and a half hours flew by in an instant.
I left there feeling encouraged and thankful, but also somewhat entitled. I have never lived through the things that she has, yet I don’t always feel thankful for the ridiculous abundance that God has given me.
“…from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Luke 12:48b
Time to get on my knees and find out what God is asking of me!


No comments:

Post a Comment