Thursday 30 May 2013

Hooray- more shopping!


And now, the next chapter…
Sorry I (Lorenda) didn’t have time to blog yesterday, but we had a very long day. The sewing of the curtains continued and the ladies did an amazing job. They look great!
However, Judy decided yesterday that I should be the fabric cutter and I could teach her friend Lydia how to do it. Judy went off to help the other four women sew while Lydia and I were left to cut the remaining fabric. Frightening indeed, but we did manage to get the job done.
The next task was to get the curtains hung at the guesthouse. Fortunately that went quite smoothly so we were done by about 8:30 PM, stopped for pizza on the way home and called it a day!
Remember the place I described where we go to get the fabric? It really is quite a place and we went there THREE times today! On the first trip we bought 150 metres of one fabric, as well as buying a whole bolt of another fabric and a few other things. The 150 metres was in a large white “fabricish” bag which a man carried to the street for us. Judy had to go pick up one more thing so she left me standing on the street with the large white bag, the bolt of fabric and a plastic bag of stuff. Without really thinking about it, they left me standing in front of a bank. Very quickly, there was an armed security guard there asking me what was in the bag. I explained that it was fabric and I showed him the bolt of fabric and the contents of the plastic bag. The large bag was tied shut so I couldn’t show him it, but after he looked at everything else I had, he seemed convinced that I wasn’t there to blow up the bank and he stopped to chat for awhile. He was almost apologetic at that point explaining that when something unusual happened outside the bank, it was his job to check it out. I told him that he was doing a great job and I’m sure the people in the bank appreciated that.
Every outing in Kampala is an adventure! You really need to be here to understand what I mean by that. Being here on building teams did not prepare us in any way for actually living here- it really is a different world. We have chosen to look at every new experience here as an adventure- it adds a whole different light to everything we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment